Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thursday Thanks - Slippity Slop

This week I feel like I’ve been drug through enough emotional pig slop to make even a pig disgruntled. (Get it? Pig..disgruntled…anywho..) The enemy loves to throw our pasts and our weaknesses in our faces and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that this has come right on the heels of the series I’m doing on spiritual armour and the persecuted church.

If you’ve ever taught the Bible before, you know what I’m talking about. I’ve heard the moans, seen the cocked grins and heard the all-knowing chuckles as someone shares with a group that they’re going to be doing a teaching or a Bible study on something like Learning Wisdom Through the Worst Trials You’ve Ever Heard Of or some other equally formidable topic. Every teacher in the group shares a knowing look as all instructors of the Word have experienced this dreaded phenomenon. We also know that we will be required to learn much more about the subject than we will ever be able to teach.

We know it’s necessary, though, to be able to teach somewhat authoritatively, the key word for us here being somewhat, as God is always the authority. We can’t effectively teach what we don’t know, so we must get a first-hand lesson. And yet we still feel so very unqualified as we stand (or blog) before you.

But I’m still here and I’m not about to give up. I am only more solidified in my resolve to continue teaching, as best I can, the truth that is found in Jesus Christ and His Word. And if I have to go through some hog slop in order to be purified spiritually and be more Christ-like so that I can continue to proclaim the truth and to hopefully be a better encourager to you, then for that I’m thankful.

The truth is:

“Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name (besides Jesus Christ) under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” (Acts 4:12)

“You are of God, little children, and have overcome them (the spirit of the antichrist), because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.” (1 John 4:4)

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11)

“And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13)

“But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.” (1 Peter 2:9-10)


Blessed be the Name of the LORD.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, man, Dorci. Hang in there. We've all gone through what you're going through to one degree or another. It helps to remember God's goodness and the trials He's brought us through before.

    Blessings,
    Mary O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mary. My life has been one big trial after another, but sometimes the Lord turns up the heat and you feel like you're going to suffocate, ya know? Without the the Lord working through the prayers of my buddies, I'd never make it. Blessings to you, too.
    Dorci

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!