Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thankful Thursday {Faithfulness}

So, I'm reinstituting Thankful Thursday and I hope you'll join me!  1 Thessalonians 5:18 says, "In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."  Christians are always wanting to know what God's will is for them.  Well, this is it - to give thanks in everything.   

It's easy to give thanks for our children (when they're behaving ;O) ), for a beautiful sunrise, for our jobs (if we have one), for our kind friends, and all those fun things in life.  And we should give thanks for those blessings.  But what about when the children aren't behaving?  Can we give thanks that God's not done with them yet?  And what about when there's been a devastating storm or there is no job?  Can we give thanks that God is our Jehovah Jireh, our Provider?  What about those difficult people in our lives?  Can we give thanks that God has poured out on us His forgiveness and grace and mercy and that we can then turn around and offer those to someone who may be having a difficult day, or a difficult life? 

So let's give thanks for the  blessings, those that are easy to see and those that we may have to see with God's vision.  And isn't that a blessing in itself?

Today, I'm thankful for God's faithfulness. 

God's faithfulness in my life never depends on me and that's a good thing.  He is faithful to see past my attitude, deep into my heart.  And even more, He lives there.  Just as Jesus Christ was willing to humble Himself to come to earth and live among us, the Holy Spirit is willing to humble Himself and live in my heart.  It's a place that isn't always accepting of His ways and it's a place that's been known from time to time to reject Him.  Naturally (as opposed to supernaturally), it's an inhospitable and weary land with more cracks and crevices than the Sonoran Desert.

But the faithfulness of God through the Holy Spirit makes that desert an oasis as His love washes over me and His balm of healing  ministers to my pain.  His mercy makes all things new and beautiful again and blossoms of new life begin to grow once more. 

He has set up residence within my heart and promises to never leave.  And for that I am and will eternally be thankful. 
 
What are you thankful for?

2 comments:

Thanks for sharing!