By way of special request (thanks, Lynn!), I’m posting my recipe for Dark Chocolate Raspberry Scones. Why wait for a special occasion to have a special breakfast? These and an iced mocha…mmm….or just a hot café mocha…any way you wanna put together coffee, milk and chocolate is okay by me.
Make ‘em for somebody you love.
Dark Chocolate Raspberry Scones
2 ¼ cups cake flour
½ cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp. cinnamon
½ cup unsalted cold butter, cut into cubes
1 cup dark chocolate chips
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup frozen raspberries, drained if needed
powdered or granulated sugar for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. Add butter. Using fingertips, rub in butter to form a course meal.
4. Add chocolate chips, mix together.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk buttermilk, egg and vanilla.
6. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients; add buttermilk mixture. Using a fork, lightly mix to form a moist dough. Just before all the dry ingredients are completely mixed in, fold in raspberries. Be careful not to overmix.
7. Generously spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and drop scones by spoonfuls onto the baking sheets.
8. Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned on top; cool on wire rack. You can sprinkle them just out of the oven with the granulated sugar, or wait till they’ve cooled and sprinkle with the powdered sugar.
Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 12 light-as-air scones.