Thursday, September 9, 2010

Thankful Thursday {Insomnia...yes, I said insomnia}

I can't believe I'm getting ready to say this, but today I'm thankful for insomnia.  I know, weird.  For the last 20 years or so, I've dealt with insomnia in one form or another, to one degree or another.  And the Lord showed me that there is indeed scripture that speaks to any situation we find ourselves. 

Psalm 134
"Behold, bless the LORD, all you servants of the LORD, who by night stand in the house of the LORD!  Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, and bless the LORD. The LORD who made heaven and earth bless you from Zion!."

Though this song was originally written to inspire fortitude in the Levite priests who stood watch in the house of the Lord by night, I believe that it can speak to us right now (or in the middle of the night, as it were).  Most of the time it feels as though watching the minutes and even hours pass by in the wee hours of the night while everyone else seems to be enjoying their slumber is wasted time.  But not so, says God's Word. 

I have a unique opportunity to bless my Lord as I worship Him in those darkened hours when I'm alone and without distraction.  And as I bless Him I will be blessed in return. 

God knows what the next day holds and maybe He wants to especially prepare me to walk in its opportunities in a godly way.  I also think of standing watch for the house of God - as in His children - all over the world who are awake while the world where I am sleeps.  They may need my prayers at just that moment in time I find myself unable to dream.  Some may be in or near my own time zone and awake in the night because of illness or trial.  The Lord can put them on my heart to stand for them in prayer. 

So the next time you find yourself awake in the night and can't seem to find that dream zone to save your life, remember, you can waste the time or you can redeem it by spending that precious time blessing Him and being blessed by Him.  And just maybe the King has awakened you for a special mission - a mission to intercede in the power of the Holy Spirit for a brother or sister in Christ or even on behalf of circumstances that require immediate prayer and a faithful saint. 

Blessings,
Dorci

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!