Monday, October 5, 2009

Armour of God - The Sword of the Spirit

Armour of God Series - Part 1, Part 2a, Part 2b, Part 2c, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6


“..and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:” (Ephesians 6:17b)

Greek Word Lesson Alert!

There are two words for “word” in the New Testament.

The first is logos, which means “something said, or the expression;” as in John 1:1, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He (Jesus Christ) was in the beginning with God.” Or in Hebrews 4:12, “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” This is the spoken word of God, or the expression of God through His Son, Jesus Christ.

The second, which we are discussing today, is rhema, which means “an utterance, individually, collectively or specifically; a command.” This is a specific word given by God for a specific situation, as in Acts 11:16, when Peter said, “Then I remembered the word of the Lord, how He said, John indeed baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.” This was a specific word that the Lord gave to him. God can speak to us for specific situations through the scriptures, through another believer or directly into our hearts. You know those times you’ve been in a trial or praying for direction about something and God speaks to your heart? That’s the rhema of God.

(By the way, the word for the scriptures, the written Word of God, is another word, graphe, meaning “a document.”)

We’ve been given a sword, our only offensive weapon, which is the Holy Spirit, Who dwells within His believers in all power, speaking to our hearts, giving us wisdom, direction and encouragement when we are confronted in an enemy attack.

There was a night very soon after I became a Christian when I was at home alone that I got a very strange and scary phone call from someone I didn’t know. Because of some circumstances in my past, I was filled with fear after I received the second phone call just minutes after the first.

Immediately, the Spirit of God spoke to my heart words from scripture that I had heard at church or bible study. I didn’t even know the reference but I ran to my Bible and tried to find it. It took a while to find it because, as I found out, I had heard the verses in a different translation than the Bible I had was in. But God was faithful to put a few keys words on my heart and I found the scripture soon enough.

“Do not fret because of evildoers, nor be envious of the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass. He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday.

Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him; do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath; do not fret-it only causes harm. For evildoers shall be cut off; but those who wait on the Lord, they shall inherit the earth. For yet a little while and the wicked shall be no more; indeed, you will look carefully for his place, but it shall be no more.” (Psalm 37:1-10)

Through my graphe, the Holy Spirit spoke His rhema to my heart. When satan would have filled me with fear, the Spirit comforted me and reassured me that I was safe.

Don’t wait until you’re faced with an attack, or a trial of some kind to get into God’s Word. None of us knows what a day will bring. Jesus said in Matthew 4:4, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word (rhema) that proceeds out of the mouth of God.'"  We need to hear from the Lord.  Only He has the wisdom we need for each decision. 

Keep your sword at hand by stepping in closer to the Lord right now. Be familiar with God’s Word so that He can bring it to your mind when you most need it. Cultivate that intimate relationship with Him today so that your ears and heart are attuned to Him.


{I know it’s long - so sorry! And thank you to those of you who voted in the poll. We basically ended up with a tie!}

2 comments:

  1. Don't you dare apologize! I love the whole series! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!