Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thursday Thanks - Health and Medication

Yay, another theme day. I think this will be cool, though. There's so much hopelessness all around us sometimes and we need to remember what we have to be thankful for.

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which you also are called in one body, and be thankful." Colossians 3:15

God reminds us to let God's peace rule in our hearts and to be thankful in the same sentence. I think that's because they go hand in hand. The more we remember to give thanks for everything in our lives, the more God's peace will overcome feelings of hopelessness, resentfulness, and even unforgiveness.

So this week I was thinking about the medication I have to take. When I started getting sick five years ago one of the hardest things to do was to get used to taking medication every day. Before that I tried to stay away from prescription drugs as much as possible. I hadn't even taken an antibiotic before that since I don't know when. But I've gotten used to taking my medications I do it now as just a regular part of my day.

And the other day I was thinking about how grateful I am to have this medication and to have competent doctors who can prescribe it for me. Without it I surely would have had a stroke by now and I probably wouldn't have gotten much sleep at all in these last several years.

So, thank you, Lord, for giving people the wisdom needed to create medication to control blood pressure and heart palpitations, for doctors who can prescribe it for me, and for keeping me safe through the last five years.

What are you thankful for?

4 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for the same things. A harsh reality is I'm not getting any younger and I can't expect to avoid what everything others deal with.

    I am thankful for those who do the research and develop the various medications so many of us take for granted.

    At times some Christians come off like Scientology. They just pretend nothing's wrong. I'm happy you are benefiting from this medication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Allan, just a little technical glitch called my husband. ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!