Thursday, September 24, 2009

Thursday Thanks - My Brothers and Sisters Who Have Gone Before Me

This week has been very difficult.  Right now, I'm awake in the still-dark, wee hours of the morning because my back hurts and I just can't lay down anymore.  I am facing a 2-hour MRI next Wednesday which rests on my mind like an anvil.  My physical weaknesses have made me feel all but useless.  And the enemy is messing with my family.  I must admit I'm very hard-pressed to find anything that I'm thankful for right now.  But I'm determined to find something anyway. 

There's been a long pause since the end of the last paragraph and the start of this one.  But I've finally thought of something I'm thankful for: other people who have lived difficult lives and allowed God to use their circumstances to speak to their hearts and have chronicled their wisdom for the rest of us to glean from.  Aside from God and His Word, that's where I get inspiration to continue on when things get tough like this.

One of my very favorite devotions is Streams in the Desert, by Mrs. Charles Cowman.  Her understanding of life's sorrows and the good that the Lord does in our hearts and lives through them never fail to speak to my heart.

I also love the gut-level truth and honesty about the things of God in My Utmost for His Highest, by Oswald Chambers.  I find my head nodding at his observations and he confirms to me things that I have almost grasped, but his wisdom is able to put those thoughts to words very succinctly.

I'm thankful that these men and women of the faith, who have courageously lived their lives, one day at a time, learning who their God is and then being willing to share with me what they know so that I can try to get through mine. 

No matter how hard today is, or this week, or this year, find something that you're thankful for today, and every day.  And then give God an offering of thanks. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for you, Dorci.

    You are a great inspiration and encouragement to me.

    I hope and pray that your tests go well and that you are feeling better soon.

    And I pray that the Lord will grab a hold of your family members and keep them unto Himself and His protection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could add inflection to my written "thank you" to let you know how very much I appreciate that, Steve. You just have no idea how much that blessed me.

    Blessings to you,
    Dorci

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!