2 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
6 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
2 1/4 cups shredded, sharp cheddar cheese
2 large eggs
2/3 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons chopped chives
milk for glazing
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with cooking oil.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, dry mustard, baking powder, sugar, salt and nutmeg. Add butter, rubbing in with your fingers to form a course meal. Add cheese and mix.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk and chives. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients; add egg mixture. Using a fork, toss lightly just until all the dry mixture is incorporated.
4. Drop by spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet to make 12 scones. Brush the tops with milk.
5. Bake 9-12 minutes, just until tops are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.