Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Life Song

I get my share of junk email. Spam, as they call it. (I don’t think it’s a coincidence that something so bothersome and distasteful shares its name with the barely distinguishable foodesque product that comes in a can.)

Anyway, I received an email with an invitation to the Navy, of all things. Actually it was directed at my son as he is registered with scholarships.com. But there was an interesting quote at the top of that email that caught my eye: “If your life had a soundtrack, would people listen?”




Huh. “Well I don’t know,” I thought. Then it got me to thinking, well, what is the soundtrack of my life? If my life had a theme song, what would it be? Then I had to laugh at the running joke I have with myself, that my life reminds me a lot of the Grateful Dead song, Truckin’ and the words of its refrain, “What a long, strange trip it’s been.”

But seriously. What song would seem to most accurately represent my life now that it is in Christ? I mentally scrolled through worship and praise songs, so many of which I love and understand on a very deep, core level. I’m sure there are many I could choose, but as I prayed, one song came to my mind: I Will Lift My Eyes by Bebo Norman.

Every time we sing that song in church I can feel my heart catch in my throat as the words pass from my lips and all of my being understands the meaning of each line enough that I feel I could have written the song myself.

What is the song of your life?








1 comment:

  1. First that comes to mind is "Thy Mercy". I searched youtube but they don't have a video with that song. :(

    "Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song; the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone from the first to the last has won my affection and bound my soul fast. . ."

    (This is Leanna, just logged into a different addy at the moment)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!